Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Wang Dang Doodle Telephone Company

Me: Beep beep boop boop.

Computer-generated female voice: Hello. Welcome to the Wangdangdoodle Cellular Phone Company. If you would like to activate your phone, please type in the 16-digit number on the back of your box, that begins with XEM.

Me: Beep beep boop boop.

Voice: I heard 'beep beep boop boop.' Is this correct?

Me: Yes.

Voice: I'm sorry, I didn't understand you.

Me: YES!

Voice: Did you say 'Yes'?

Me: YES!

Voice: Please type in the 14-digit number on the back of your box that begins with '618'.

Me: Beep beep boop boop.

Voice: I heard 'beep beep boop boop.' Is that correct?

Me: YES!

Voice: Thank you. Could you please say your address?

Me: 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Voice: I heard '417 Eiler.' Is that correct?

Me: NO!

Voice: Could you say your address?

Me: 1313 Mockingbird Lane.

Voice: I heard '3978 Grand Avenue.' Is this correct?

Me: NO!

Voice: Please hold while I transfer your call.

(Muzak version of "Feelings.")

Me: Yech.

Another computer-generated female voice: Please type in your cellular phone number.

Me: I don't have a cellular phone number. That's why I'm calling. Why am I telling you this? You're a computer. You don't understand a word I'm saying. I thought advanced technology was supposed to make our lives easier! Damned cosmodemonic transnational megacorporations! They're almost as bad as the government! Hell, they're PART of the government!

Voice: I'm sorry, I didn't understand you. Could you please say your cellular phone number?

Me: (silence)

Voice: Thank you for calling Wangdangdoodle Cellular Phone Company. Goodbye.

Me: Beep beep boop boop.

Voice: Hello. Welcome to the Wangdangdoodle Cellular Phone Company. If you would like to activate your phone, please type in the 16-digit number on the back of your box, that begins with XEM.

Me: Beep beep boop boop.

Voice: I heard 'beep beep boop boop.' Is this correct?

Me: YES!

Voice: Please hold while I transfer your call.

(Muzak version of Bobby Goldsboro's "Watching Scotty Grow.")

Me: Blech.

Disembodied Indian Accent: Hello, my name is Angelique, and I am a blond, 16-year-old cheerleader dressed in a see-through nightie! Would you like to masturbate while I fulfull your sexual fantasies? It's only five dollars a minute.

Me: Too much. No, wait, I mean I'm calling about my cellular phone!

Accent: Hee hee! I am sporting such a blushing! I believe this is what you Americans call wires that are crossed! I most apologize! Let us try this again! My name is Hadji, I mean Greg! What is your cellular phone number, please?

Me: I don't have one. I was trying to activate my phone, but the system messed up my address and them connected me to a system that disconnected me. When I called back again and tried to activate my phone, it transferred me to you.

Accent: I see. I'll have to connect you to Customer Service.

(Muzak version of Goldsboro's "Honey.")

Me: Two Bobby Goldsboro songs in a row.

American Accent: Could you please tell me your cellular phone number?

Me: I don't have one. The system messed up and connected me to you.

American accent: I'll have to transfer you to Pre-pay.

(Muzak version of "Love Will Keep Us Together.")

Me: Well, I at least kinda like this one.

Another Disembodied American Accent: Could I please have your cellular phone number?

Me: I don't have one. The system messed up my address and connected me to you.

American Accent: I see. I'll have to connect you to Customer Service.

Me: I was just there. They transferred me to you.

American Accent: I understand. I don't have access to the information you want, so you'll have to call back during business hours.

Me: Sure.

American Accent: Thank you. Goodbye.

NEXT DAY

Me: Beep beep boop boop.

Computer-generated female voice: Hello. Welcome to the Wangdangdoodle Cellular Phone Company. If you would like to activate your phone, please type in the 16-digit number on the back of your box, that begins with XEM.

Me: Ah, shit! (Beep beep beep boop)

Female voice: Your new number will come through on your phone's screen in several seconds!

Me: Cool!

Phone: (Tinny version of Dan Hill's "Sometime When We Touch")

Me: Sonofabitch! That's the ringtone?! ARGH! (Sound of smashing, very similar to Bluto smashing the guy's guitar in Animal House.)

Smoking phone: Sometimes when we touch...the honesty's too much...

Me: ARRRGGHHH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment